Cheri's Bookseller Online Network

A community for anyone selling books online, or want to sell books online

Hi,
I just joined the forum today and look forward to exchanging ideas with other booksellers.
I've been considering starting a online bookselling business for several months now. I've had a passion for books and reading for most of my 61 years and find great pleasure in discovering new books at libraries and used book stores. I'm always looking for a great bargain at used book stores rather than paying the overprice costs of new books. There's enough great older books that I haven't read yet.
Not only do I enjoy reading books that fit my eclectic reading habits, but I find pleasure in holding a book, taking in the scent of the pages and the feel of a book in my hands. Sounds crazy, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this love for and passion for books. I can't image reading a book on something like Kindle.
I've been researching online bookselling for several months and I've read Michale Mould's excellent book, which I found very informative and very instructive in all aspects of selling books online. However, I am dismayed to hear and read of the madness at the FOL book sales with crazed buyers who are rude, pushy and who horde books while checking out their worth. It seems they come with helpers to load books into boxes while they check them out and if you're not there earlier enough, I gather not much of valuable is left after their done. My local has a very small FOL and not many books for sale, so I haven't personal experienced this. Even Michael Mould talks about this issue and at times, has his wife come and watch the boxes of books he is holding so no one else can take them.
Another question, with so many booksellers with very large inventories and who seem to have the upfront positions on amazon, is there really room for the smaller bookseller to get noticed on Amazon, at least in the beginning of the business and still make money in the used book market?
Any feedback would be helpful. I really want to to start my business, because I believe "You should do what you love and love what you do"
Thanks, Steve

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Morning Steve,
Yes there is room on the river. We just started listing on Amazon about two months ago and only have about 1500 books listed there. We are usually not the low price or the first listing, I use a .99 low price on mass markets and 1.99 on hardbacks. The key on Amazon seems to be detailed listings and true descriptions of the book, many time we sell the book with 15 or 20 others set at a lower price. So start small, get a feel for it, and sell what you love.
As for the FOL sales, yes they can get brutal, especially on preview night. We operate an open book store where we buy sell and trade books so we get a lot of books that way. I also get many books from garage sales (esp. church garage sales) and you need to talk to your local thrift stores.
But the short story is you sell the books one book at a time just like the big guys, dosen't matter if you have 1 or 200,000.

Happy Book selling to you,
Bubba
aka Bill Crawford
Bubba's Book Swap
bubbasbookswap.com

RSS

© 2024   Created by Cheriz.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service